I forgot to mention in the September Newsletter that the VFW celebrated 120 years on the 29th of September. That is amazing, and we are one of the oldest Veteran’s organizations.
Our September Post cookout was a huge success and I want to thank Brent Valentine for cooking and to all of the Volunteers who helped.
Thanks to all of the people who donated money and school supplies for our two schools that we sponsor, Woodridge Elementary and Preston Elementary.
Upcoming events at the Post
- Our Post Picnic will be on October 12th from 12:00 to 6:00 PM. The Post will be cooking Hamburgers and Hotdogs and we request everyone bring a side dish to share.
- We will be hosting a Halloween Party on the 25th from 7:00 to 11:00 PM (1900 – 2300). We will have sloppy joes and we request everyone bring a side dish. There will also be a contest for the best costumes.
Upcoming events District 8
- The District 8 is also having a Halloween Party on the 19th at Meander Post 9571 starting at 2:00. The flyer and the tickets will be on the post bulletin board, tickets are $6.00 and they have a cash bar.
- Our District 8 in the near future will be Providing a bus trip to the Military Museum in Columbus. When this information becomes available, I will put it in the next newsletter if there is time and if not, I will put the date on the post calendar.
- We are still selling the spit wood at the Post as a fundraiser. So, if you know anyone that needs some campfire wood let them know. We are selling it 25 pieces for $20.00.
- Next month is Veterans’ Day and I hope to see a lot of you at the Post.
- Our Monthly meeting in October will be on October 24th and November’s meeting will be on November 21st because of Thanksgiving.
Fall has arrived and the Auxiliary is busy as usual. At our September meeting, we were given a presentation by USNSCC Cadet Catherine “CC” Wade, about her recent trainings, as well as trainings she hopes to attend throughout this school year and next summer. We discussed with her and her mother, Auxiliary member Heather Wade, the specific trainings and costs for CC to attend these trainings. By the end of the meeting we decided to present CC a check for $650 to assist in paying for her DC Trip, POLA, Master at Arms, Combat/Field Medical trainings. Good luck, CC! We are all so proud of you.
During this last month, two of our officers, treasurer Joyce Hickman, and president Mary Frances McGraw, delivered school supplies to Woodridge Elementary School and Preston Elementary School. The staff at both schools are grateful for the items. Thank you to all who donated items and money, including our own VFW, so that we could make this happen. Check the Falls New Press to see our photo with some of the students and principal Tammy Brown at Preston.
Last year, the Auxiliary decided to join the Cuyahoga Falls Chamber of Commerce as a way to draw more attention to our group and to the Post, as well as be more involved in the community. At last month’s meeting, we decided to renew our membership. We also decided to sponsor a networking event on Thursday, January 16, 2020. The event is called Falls After Five and is held the third Thursday of every month at various locations throughout the greater Cuyahoga Falls area. We are looking forward to hosting this well-attended event and meeting other Chamber members. All current members of the Auxiliary are invited to be there.
We have had some members, unfortunately, have some health set-backs recently. If you are a member or know of one who is facing health challenges, please contact our chaplain, Sam Griffiths, and let her know. She will arrange for a card to be sent and, if possible, for visits to see the member.
The lottery board is back! The September winner was Bernie Gobrogge, our VFW Commander! Another board will be up soon. See an Auxiliary member for tickets!
In early September, our president, Mary Frances McGraw, met with the superintendents of the local school districts: Dr. Nichols of Cuyahoga Falls City School District; and Mr. Davis of the Woodridge Local District. They discussed the scholarship, creative writing, and art awards that are available to students. Information was given to both to share with their students. Last year we did not receive a single application, so hopefully these meetings will get more students involved. We voted at the September meeting to offer $100 to the student receiving the most votes at the November meeting as an award for her/his work. If you know of a student who would like to apply, information is available at vfwauxiliary.org.
At this month’s Post Picnic, we will have door prizes available. If you have anything to donate, please contact our chaplain and picnic-fun coordinator, Sam Griffiths. We hope to see you there!
At our October meeting, Monday, the 21st, our District 8 president, Renell Noack, will be visiting. We look forward to hosting her and hearing what she has to share with us. All Auxiliary members are invited to be there to meet her.
As always, we hope to see all members of the Auxiliary at our monthly meetings! Wishing you all a spook-tacular month!